DESIGN • DELIVER • INSTALL
What's the best type of mattress for you? Open Coil? Pocket Spring? Memory Foam? Gel?
We break it all down here for you, so you can rest easy.
Open Coil Mattresses
Commonly referred to as a ‘Bonnell Spring”, this system uses a continuous coiling of springs made from a single looped wire. These springs are fixed together and clipped to an exterior road edge which gives the mattress its shape and structure.
- A cheaper alternative to pocket springs
- Perfect for spare rooms
- Lighter than pocket-sprung mattresses an therefore easier to turn
- You're more likely to disturb your partner through movement
- The wear on the unit is greater than on pocket springs
- Shortest lifespan of all mattresses
Pocket Spring Mattressess
Characterised by vertically presented springs nested in their own individual fabric pockets, pocket-sprung mattresses allow for total independent movement across the entire sleeping surface, as each spring reacts to the individual’s weight and sleeping position.
The spring count within a mattress usually increases along with the price, and where there are higher spring counts it usually means it’s a higher quality product (especially when looking at product ranges within the same brand. Spring counts range from 800 up to 20,000 springs, however this isn’t the sole indicator of a mattresses quality and other factors should be considered when buying a new mattress; including fillings used, guarantees offered and the manufacturer making your new mattress.
- As the springs are individual the pressure on each spring is much less, resulting in a longer lasting product.
- Ideal for people of different weights as each person will have their own sleeping area, reducing any potential ‘roll-together’
- By combining pocket springs with natural fillings, it creates a cooler sleeping experience than memory foam.
- It is essential to regularly turn most pocket sprung mattresses, however high spring count mattresses can be heavy and difficult to turn – particularly in bigger sizes. If this is a problem, we also provide non-turn pocket sprung mattresses!
Natural Filling Mattresses
Natural fillings are layered above the spring units within a mattress to achieve a particular feel or desired firmness for a specific product. Different fillings can dramatically change a mattresses’ feel and price so therefore it is important to understand how your mattress is ‘made up’.
Some fillings are warmer, some are softer and some are more resilient. These different properties are combined to achieve the perfect combination of support, resilience, breathability, and comfort.
- Cotton - Soft and cool due to its ability to breathe and absorb moisture
- Wool: Breathable, luxurious feeling and resilience. Antibacterial, traps dust, perfect if you have allergies.
- Silk: Used in high-end products, breathable, heat-regulating, hypoallergenic, adds luxury
- Cashmere: Sumptuously soft and comfortable. Found in most top of the range mattresses.
- Mohair/Horsehair: Soft and smoother than wool, more luxurious and durable.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory Foam mattresses contribute to optimal pressure distribution, and as the material fits perfectly to body contours it eliminates uncomfortable pressure points. The specially designed pressure-relieving structure of foam provides adaptable support in every sleeping position and the flexibility to change shape as you move position during the night. Although foam offers excellent pressure-relieving properties, it is essential to ensure you choose the firmness which suits to maximise comfort and recovery while you sleep.
- Moulds individually to each sleeper while protecting and comforting critical body pressure zones.
- Excellent for aching joints and stress relief for tired muscles.
- Non-turn, low maintenance and often reinforced with a super-supportive edge and extended guarantees.
- High-density memory foam enables the body to sink, this can lead to a feeling of low support or the inability to move during the night.
- Memory foam absorbs body heat in order create a comfortable environment, however this retained heat in the foam can lead uncomfortable sweating and restless sleep.
- All foam mattresses are treated with fire-retarded chemicals, which can be slightly smelly – although its completely non-toxic is can cause slight irritation to some people.
A gel foam mattress is the latest innovation within the mattress industry. At its core the notion of gel is to create a mattress surface that does not suffer with undue heat retention. Gel foam is a viscoelastic foam mixed with gel beads that provide extra support and help to reduce heat build-up. These types of mattresses are usually combined with either a sprung or full foam basis in order to complement the pressure relieving & cooling benefits of the gel whilst also dictating the overall feel of the mattress (soft, medium or firm)
- Conforms individually to all body shapes providing relief on pressure points
- Instantly springs back to shape
- Pressure sensitive not heat sensitive which will enable a cooler nights sleep
- All foam mattresses are treated with fire-retarded chemicals, which can be slightly smelly – although its completely non-toxic it can cause slight irritation to some people
Why shop at Lets Furnish?
Over 25 years of trust and experience
Ok, we're old.. But we believe in setting trends. Our teams have the knowledge, experience, logistics, and service delivery like no other!
Design, assembly and removal services
We do it all to save you valuable time and effort. We even deliver to your room, take away the packaging, and even your old furniture!
Same day delivery in and around London
Do you need furniture delivered urgently? We're just one call (or email) away! If it's in stock, it's yours. You can even collect from our warehouse!
1000s of items in stock with warranty
In stock, means quicker delivery. Every item comes with a standard 1 year manufacturer warranty. Problem? Just call us and we'll get it sorted!
"We have been buying furniture from Lets Furnish for 20+ years. They have never failed us. Delivery is always on time and with a smile. Don't hesitate, you won't regret it."
"Excellent service! I called today for a mattress and it was delivered within the hour! Price was great, and the quality of the mattress is the best I've ever had!"
"Let’s furnish is the best furniture company for great quality furniture at reasonable prices and excellent service. This is my second year, I’ve chosen the furniture from Let’s Furnish as I know the quality and prices are great!"
Have you shopped with us before? We'd love to hear your experience!